“I am tired of my current cellular service provider. Their plans are expensive and customer services is really bad. I have heard that now number porting is available in India. Can I now switch my mobile service provider?”, asked a TechWelkin reader through email.
He also asked me if he can keep the same mobile number while switching service provider.
Well, in India, mobile number portability is in operation for quite some time now. But, like the above reader, many people are still unaware of how to change their phone number company. It is, in fact, a very easy process. You don't need to change your number. The same number gets transferred to the new mobile phone operator whom you choose.
What's more? It is fully automated service, you can initiate the process right from your mobile phone! Let's see the steps that you would need to take to transfer your number to a new mobile service provider.
- If you’re currently using a post-paid plan, clear your dues
- Initiate process by sending an SMS. Send PORT <your mobile number> to 1900
- In reply, you’ll get an SMS which will contain a code called UPC code
- Now go to an outlet of the provider whom you want to switch to. Select the plan you want to use and give them the UPC code you have received. UPC code is valid only for a couple of weeks. If you don't use it within this period –you’ll have to request a new UPC
- The new service provider will charge Rs. 19 fee for switching and give you a new SIM card
- New service provider will also tell you the date and time when actual switching will take place
- There might be a service interruption for an hour or two when switching will be going on. Typically, switching takes place between 10pm to 5am. You should receive an SMS about the exact timing of switching
- After switching, you will need to put the new SIM card in your handset. Cut and trash the old SIM card
Please note that you can switch service provider only once in three months.
If you are not happy with your current service provider, go one and switch to another provider. This facility not only gives you freedom but also puts all the companies in business under pressure of giving quality service to the customer. If customer is not happy, they will abandon the company and switch to another one. Customer is no longer tied to the original service provider and also the worry of change in phone number has been addressed.
Happy switching! :-)