People new at blogging, often go on creating tags and categories without having a plan for them. And later on, when a large number of tags and categories get accumulated, they feel like mass deleting them. It usually happens in case of tags because WordPress bloggers are tend to create tags for every keyword they associate with an article.
Mostly, bloggers will try to find a plugin to mass delete tags and/or categories. But you should not install only those plugins that are really necessary. There is no need to install a plugin for this task. It can be easily performed with the help of built-in facilities of WordPress platform. This is especially useful for WordPres.com users, who're not allowed to install plugins on their free blog.
There is a small trick involved here. With this trick you can delete up to 999 tags or categories in one go. And you shall not need to install any plug-in for this. Let's see the steps:
- Log into your Dashboard (Admin panel) of WordPress
- Go to Post Tags (or Post Categories as the case may be) under the Posts section in the sidebar
- Click on the Screen Options link given on top right corner of your screen
- Enter a numeric value in “Show on screen” box (the maximum it will take is 999)
- Click Apply button
- The page will now reload to show 999 tags on one page.
- Select all of them by checking the checkbox to the left side of Name header
- Select “Delete” from Bulk Action dropdown and click Apply
You may need to repeat deletion depending upon the number of tags you have in your website. Isn't it a clean method of mass deleting categories and tags without plugin? Every blogger who wishes to become a professional blogger must keep on learning as much as possible about the blogging platform. It helps in better management of your blog.
Do let me know if you face any problem in this matter. Thank you for using TechWelkin.