At times, while troubleshooting your Internet or LAN connection, you need to know the MAC address of your computer. Let’s understand what this MAC address is and how to find it from your computer.
Network Interface Card (NIC) is a piece of hardware located inside your computer. This card allows your computer to connect to a network (e.g. Internet). All connection and routing devices on a network have a unique address associated with them which allows these devices to “talk” to each other. This unique address is known as Media Access Control (MAC) address. Sometimes an application wants you to enter MAC address of your network card. And you feel lost as to where to find this MAC address. Worry not! It’s easy! Following instructions tell you how to find this address:
- Click on the start button of your Windows computer
- Click on Run
- Run box will popup. Type cmd in this box and hit enter
- Black color Command Prompt window will appear
- Here you type ipconfig/all command
- A lot of text will appear. Locate the line with heading “Physical Address”. The numbers written in this line represent the MAC address of your NIC
Isn’t it easy?! I hope this was useful for you. Please let me know if you have any questions on this topic. I will be happy to try and help you. Thank you for using TechWelkin!