YouTube is world's largest video sharing service. It was founded by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim in February 2005. Search engine behemoth Google saw the potential of such a service in future and bought YouTube in October 2006 for a princely sum of $1.65 billion. Initially, Google's investment was seen with a high suspicion because everyone thought that success of video sharing was doubtful because of low Internet bandwidth in large part of the world.
However, when Google bought YouTube, the gamble paid off and that too in style! Today we know YouTube as one of the most successful online ventures. Let's see a few interesting YouTube trivia and facts about YouTubeT! These statistics have been compiled from press releases made by Google and from other online sources.
Infographic title: Latest YouTube Fact and Statistics
Date produced: 03 March 2012
Produced by: TechWelkin.com
License: Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-SA) Feel free to use this infographic (please provide a link to www.techwelkin.com)
Use the following code to embed this infographic in your webpage:
- Today, YouTube is the world's third most visited website (after Google and Facebook) according to Alexa rank.
- In one minute, YouTube gets richer by 60 hours of new video content. (To compare, see what all happens in one minute of Internet)
- 4 billion videos are watched on YouTube every day. How many of these do you watch?!
- YouTube attracts more than 800 million users every month. And I am one of them :-)
- Phew! Folks around the world watch 3 billion hours of videos on YouTube.
- 30% of YouTube's entire traffic comes from USA alone. Rest of the world contributes 70%.
- Google has taken care of localizing YouTube quite a bit. The website is localized in 39 countries and 54 languages.
- In 2011, more than one trillion views of YouTube took place (which means about 140 views for every person on earth!)
- YouTube also makes you money! More than 3 billion videos get monetized every week.
- Now a very interesting fact. 30% videos on YouTube account for 99% of the total views. This means 70% of YouTube videos get just 1% of total eyeballs!
- As on 3 March 2012, Baby song of Justine Bieber was the most watch video on YouTube. This video was watched 712,006,290 times on last count.
- YouTube is very popular on mobile platforms as well. Something like 600 million videos are watched every day on mobile devices.
- Facebook users are sharing YouTube video on social network. Around 500 years long videos are shared on FB every day.
- Twitter is also not far behind. 700 YouTube videos are shared on Twitter every minute.
- Every week 100 million people interact with social features of YouTube. These actions include, liking, commenting, sharing of videos.
- Co-founder Jawed Karim uploaded the very first video on YouTube. This video is titled “Me at the Zoo” and was uploaded on 23 April 2005. Here it is:
- Users do really interact with YouTube. More than 50% of all the videos have been rated or commented upon by users.
- Over 120 million videos have been marked as copyrighted property through YouTube Content ID.
- Easy sharing of videos on YouTube has caused many countries to block it temporarily or permanently. These include Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Pakistan, Syria, Tajikistan, and Turkey.
- And finally… tens of thousands of full length movies are now available on YouTube.
Isn't it all amazing? These astronomical YouTube figures are jaw-dropping. Did you know that Googlehad earlier tried to setup its own video sharing service called Google Video. But this service was trashed and it found a place among failed Google products. And then Google's purchase of YouTube happened.
I hope you like these interesting facts. Do let me know, please, if you have any more such trivia about YouTube!