Microsoft Word is the most widely used word processing software in the world. It provides a great number of features that easily fulfill our day-to-day word processing needs. Often times, we want to write text in two (or more columns) just the way they publish text in newspapers, magazines and books. Two column text is easier to read because readers’ eyes don't have to move across the full width of the page.
Let's learn how to create a two column page in MS Word.
SEE ALSO: My guide on MS Word tips
Obviously, you can create two columns using table but the problem with table columns is that the text will not continue to flow from one column to another. Table cells are mutually exclusive and don't permit text to adjust across cells. This will make it difficult to adjust text in two columns.
If you have made up your mind that you want to create a document with two columns, follow these steps:
1) Open a new Word document
2) Go to Page Layout tab
3) From Page Setup section click on Columns menu to select the number of columns you require.
4) Now begin typing the way you always do. Cursor will break into a new line as per the column width. Eventually, you will come to the second column only after completely filling the first column with text. (SEE: How to create shorter columns)
If you already have a document and you want to convert it into a two column layout, that is also possible and very easy to do.
1) Open the document in which you want to implement two column layout
2) Select the text that you want to convert into two columns
3) Go to Page Layout tab
4) From Page Setup section click on Columns menu to select the number of columns you require.
5) MS-Word will automatically adjust your selected text into the number of columns you chose.
So, this is how you can easily create two or multiple columns page layout in MS Word documents. Such a layout makes your document look more professional.
Please let me know if you have any questions about this topic. I will try to help you. Thank you for using TechWelkin!