Google IME is a tiny little but great tool that enables typing in Indic languages on computer. Sometime ago we published a tutorial about how to install and use Google IME on computer to be able to type in Hindi and other Indian languages. But the other day, a Facebook friend of mine asked:
“Hi Lalit, It was a great article on how to type in Hindi on computer. I am now using it on my laptop. But is there a way to type in Hindi on my mobile also?”, thus spoke my friend Richa on a phone call.
“yes, it is very easy! But why do you want to install Hindi on mobile?”, I prodded just to know what users wants!
“Come on! everybody is using Hindi on mobile. I get so many jokes and other stuff written in Hindi on WhatsApp. And then look at yourself! You write most of your FB posts in Hindi! I also want to do that through mobile.”, Richa explained.
Oh well, typing in Hindi is really in demand nowadays!
With the steep rise in number of mobile phones in India (over 900 million mobile connections are there), and increase in smartphones usage, more and more people want to use Hindi language in their mobile phones.
Here with the help of graphics, I will teach you how to type in Hindi on your Android phone. At the end of this graphic, we have explained each step. So, in case you don't understand any step, just scroll down to find explanation.
Please also note that different manufacturers customize Android to give it their own signature touch. So, the graphics given below may not be exactly what you'll see on your screen -but it will give you an idea how to proceed.
Infographic title: How to Enable Hindi Typing on Android Phones/Tablets
Date produced: 28 July 2013
Produced by: TechWelkin.com
Comments: Screenshots have been taken from Karbonn Titanium S5 mobile phone based on Android Jelly Bean
License: Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-SA) Feel free to use this infographic (please provide a link to www.techwelkin.com)
Use the following code to embed this infographic in your blog post / website:
Got it? No?
Ok, here is the explanation of the steps shown in the above infographic:
- Go to apps in your mobile. Then go to Google Play Store.
- Search for hindi input.
- You’ll get Google Hindi Input in search results. Click on this.
- Now you’ll be on Google Hindi Input install page. Click on the Install button to install the app. Accept and give permission as asked for.
- Once the download is complete, the application will install itself. Wait for the “successfully installed” status.
- Now go to System Settings and then locate the “Language and Input” section. In this section, you'll see keyboard named “Google Hindi Input”. Select this by checking the box.
- Now starting writing/compsing an SMS. On top-left corner of your screen, you'll see a keyboard icon. Pull this icon down.
- Now, you'll get a screen where you can select the input method. Tap on “Choose Input Method”
- Select “Hindi transliteration” from the presented choice.
- Voila! You'll see that your SMS keyboard has changed and it is now showing Hindi alphabets!
- On this keyboard, you'll see a new button showing ” a => अ ” If you switch this button ON (the button is on when the line of this button is lit in blue color) you'll be able to do transliteration. For example, to write भारत you need to type bharat.
- If you want to write message in English letters -just tap the a => अ button to switch off transliteration.
Once this app is installed, you'll be able to type in Hindi everywhere in your mobile device. You can send SMS in Hindi and send messages and status on Whatsapp, Viber, Facebook Messenger etc.