A lesser known (and therefore less used) feature of Facebook groups is that you can upload files and share them with the group members. This feature is relatively new. Earlier group members were only allowed to create documents using group’s facility. But now you can upload any type of files (jpg, png, doc, pdf etc.) into the group.
The beauty of this feature is that a revision of the uploaded file can also be uploaded (the older version of the file will also be available to members to see!)
How to upload files
In a Facebook group, on top of the place where you write your post, you’ll find a link “Upload File”. Click that and you see the following box where in you can choose the file you want to upload
Alternatively, you can go to the Files tab and uploaded the file from there:
How to view the uploaded file
All the uploaded files (and docs created) are clubbed under the Files tab. Click on the tab to see the list of files available in the group. Now you can click on any file to view it. You can download the file or “Preview” it.
How to upload a revision
Go to Files tab > click on the file whose revised version you want to upload > You’ll see the “Upload New Revision” button > Click on the button to upload a new version of the file.
A few important points
- You can uploaded all types of files except program files (.exe) and music files (e.g. mp3)
- No limit on the number of uploaded files. Each file, however, should be less than 25MB in size
- Admin of the group can control who can download the files
- Members can flag an uploaded file as spam
- Preview is available for images and text files. These previews are opened in Facebook popup. MS-Word files are opened for preview in MS Office online.