Users of WhatsApp, the world's favorite mobile chat app, sometimes get an exclamation mark near the message sent by them. In our previous articles, we have explained the meaning of various WhatsApp icons (like clock and ticks). Today we will tell you the meaning of exclamation mark in your WhatsApp messages.
Before we get to the point, it is important for you to understand that every WhatsApp message reaches the recipient in the following fashion:
- You type the message and press the send button. At this stage you get the clock icon.
- If your mobile Internet connection is on, the message leaves your phone and reaches on the WhatsApp server. At this stage you get a single gray tick icon.
- If the recipient's mobile Internet connection is on, the WhatsApp server delivers your message to the recipient phone. At this stage you see the double gray tick icon.
- When the recipient reads your message, you get the blue double ticks icon, also called the read receipt.
Now, if anything unexpected happens at any of these steps, the exclamation mark would appear in your WhatsApp chat. In fact, exclamation icon in often used in computer and mobile applications to denote an inexplicable or unwanted occurrence.
So, what could be those unexpected events that may cause appearance of exclamation icon? Here we go!
- Your mobile Internet connection interrupted the dispatch of the message. The dispatch began but stopped mid-way. This sometimes happens when your mobile Internet strength is weak or unstable.
- WhatsApp chat is now end-to-end encrypted. But if WhatsApp fail to do this end-to-end encryption, it shows an exclamation mark in red circle. It basically means that the message could not be secured with encryption.
How to Remove Exclamation Mark from WhatsApp
The easiest thing to do is to resend the message. If exclamation mark appeared due to connection problem, resending the message when you have a better mobile connection may solve the problem.
If the issue is still not resolved, you may want to uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp again. This will update WhatsApp to its latest version and will remove any conflicts that could be causing encryption problems.
This should solve the problem and you should be able to send smiley emoji to your friend as you would again be chatting!
We hope that this article about exclamation sign in WhatsApp was useful to you. Should you have any queries related to this topic, please feel free to post your questions in the comments section below. We will try our best to assist you. Thank you for using TechWelkin!