Last evening I was in an important conversation on WhatsApp but suddenly my mobile Internet connection broke down. Fortunately, at that time, I had an Internet connected laptop in front of me. So, I wondered, “is it possible to use WhatsApp on a desktop or laptop computer?”. I searched a bit on Internet and found that you can indeed use WhatsApp on your computer. WhatsApp Web was officially launched to help those users who are more comfortable on a computer rather than a mobile phone. Let's see how you can install WhatsApp on your laptop or tablet or desktop.
First of all let's understand why WhatsApp was not available for computers from the beginning. Well, the answer is really easy. WhatsApp was developed to be a mobile phone app. It was not intended to work as a messenger software installed on your computer (for example, Yahoo! Messenger).
So, the developers of WhatsApp created various versions of WhatsApp for mobile platforms but not for computer platforms. You will find WhatsApp version for Android, iOS, Windows and BlackBerry etc. because they all are mobile operating systems. Computers, on the other hand, use operating systems like Windows 8, Linux etc.
Popularity of WhatsApp transcends the geographic and lingual barriers. People use WhatsApp in hundreds of languages (like in Hindi). So it was natural that lately the demand to have this app on computer grew tremendously. Soon, this app was being used on PCs through middleware Android Emulators like BlueStacks. As a result, eventually, the developers of WhatsApp have now officially offered us a method of interacting with mobile WhatsApp through your PC screen.
Facebook, the social media giant who recently acquired WhatsApp, has brought in a much desired feature in the world's most widely used mobile chat app. To install WhatsApp on your PC, please follow the steps given below.
Before you begin the process, please ensure that your setup meets the following requirements:
a) First of all, you must be a WhatsApp user on mobile phone (this feature is not yet available for iOS; which means you can not install WhatsApp for PC if you're using WhatsApp on iPhone).
Update: In August 2015, iOS version was also made available. Now iPhone users can also use WhatsApp for PC.
b) You have to have Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera on your computer on which you want to install WhatsApp.
c) Your mobile phone must have a camera. (Don't you love taking selfies?)
If your setup fulfill the above requirements, you can go ahead and install WhatsApp on your computer:
1) Upgrade WhatsApp to latest version on your mobile. This is very important because if you have an older version of WhatsApp on your mobile, you will not be able to install WhatsApp on your PC. The minimum version of WhatsApp on your mobile must be 2.11.498
To know the current version of WhatsApp on your mobile; open WhatsApp and then go to Settings > Help > About
2) Now launch the browser and go to web.whatsapp.com
Please note that this website works only in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera. If you'll use other web browsers like Internet Explorer, you'll see and error.
When you'll go to the above mentioned website, you'll see a QR Code, waiting to be scanned.
3) Now pick up your mobile phone and open WhatsApp. Open the main menu and select WhatsApp Web option.
An instruction will appear on your mobile, asking you to take your mobile camera near your computer screen and scan the QR Code.
Tap on “OK, GOT IT” to remove the instruction screen and let your mobile to scan the QR Code.
4) That's all !… As soon as the QR Code will be scanned, you will see that WhatsApp screen appears on your computer. You can now send messages and do chat with your WhatsApp contacts right on your PC.
Here is a YouTube video from TemCam on how to complete the above instructions:
Feeling happy?! I am sure you must be! WhatsApp on PC is especially useful for those who can not easily type on their mobile phones. On computer screen you see bigger font and it is much easier and faster to type using a computer keyboard. There are even more benefits. Let's look at them.
- The first advantage is that using WhatsApp on PC will make your chatting experience much richer as you'll be able to type messages much faster.
- You can easily send images and videos stored in your PC.
- You can download WhatsApp images and videos in your PC which will have much larger storage.
- Once the QR Code is scanned, you'll remain logged in and would not need to login again and again.
All rosy? Well, almost !… there are also a few drawbacks of using WhatsApp on PC. Let's consider them too.
- What you see on you computer screen is merely a mirror image of your WhatsApp installation on mobile phone. This means that if you send a WhatsApp message from your PC, the same message will go from your mobile phone as well (but the receiver will get the message only once).
- Consequently, your Internet data usage will double up. Net connections of both your mobile phone as well as computer will be used.
- If you're using WhatsApp on a computer that is used by others also, it could turn out to be a privacy problem. Any other person who is using you PC, will be able to see your WhatsApp message. He will also be able to chat with your contacts.
I hope these instructions will help you in installing and using your favorite WhatsApp on your computer. Go ahead and use computer's faster typing ability to send a flurry of nice status messages on WhatsApp. Should you have any questions in this regard, please feel free to comment and ask. I will try my best to assist you. Thank you for using TechWelkin!