Everyone is using Facebook. Well, if not everyone, at least a billion people definitely use the world’s largest online social networking site. Facebook’s addiction is so much that a lot of people spend significant amount of time making posts, sending messages, chatting, reading, befriending, unfriending, liking and sharing. Now, cure of Facebook addiction is a different matter but today I going to tell you about Facebook access keys (shortcuts) so that you can navigate faster and save some time. You can go through FB just by using your keyboard. This will save you time because navigation through keyboard is much faster.
Moreover, these access keys are very useful for people with visual impairment. Visually impaired users often preferred to use websites through keyboards.
Like any other big and good website, Facebook also provides facility of access keys. These are the key combinations that emulate mouse clicks. For example, you can go to a page just by pressing a key combination and you would not need to click your mouse. Some time ago I had written an article on how to create smileys and emoticons on FB. You may be interested in that as well.
These key combinations differ from browser to browser. Therefore, I would suggest that you learn shortcuts for your favorite or default browser.
Following list shows the Facebook key combinations for different browsers. The # key is to be replaced by access key that are mentioned after this list:
- Internet Explorer for PC: Alt + #, then Enter
- Firefox for PC: Shift + Alt + #
- Safari for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
- Firefox for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
- Chrome for Mac: Ctrl + Opt + #
- Chrome for PC: Alt + #
Okay now lets have a look at the access keys:
- 0 – Help
- 1 – Home
- 2 – Timeline
- 3 – Friends
- 4 – Inbox
- 5 – Notifications
- 6 – Settings
- 7 – Activity Log
- 8 – About
- 9 – Terms
- m – New Message
Lets put it together and understand it by examples.
If you want to open a new message box while using Firefox (Mozilla) on your Windows computer, just press SHIFT + ALT + m
But if you are using MacBook, you’ll need to press CTRL + OPT + m for the same action.
If you want to open your inbox in Internet Explorer, press ALT + 4 and then press ENTER key.
Got it now? The idea is to press Key combination + Access key
Alright, lets move forward. Keys in the following list work independently. Just press these keys to make things happen on Facebook.
- j and k – Scroll between News Feed stories (click here to know why j and k are used for scrolling)
- p – Post a new status
- l – Like or unlike the selected story
- c – Comment on the selected story
- s – Share the selected story
- o – Open attachment of the selected story
- / – Search
- q – Search chat contacts
- ? – Help. Shows a box containing all these keyboard shortcuts. Very useful.
- Enter – Bring focus on the text box while making a post
- CTRL + g – Search conversations
- CTRL + q – Show or hide keyboard shortcuts
- CTRL + Delete – Archive or unarchive conversation
- CTRL + j – Mark as spam
- CTRL + c – Start a new message
- CTRL + i – Go to Inbox
- CTRL + u – Go to Other
I hope this information will be useful to you. Do let me know if you face any problem in this regard.